- The knowledge about type A and type B tube light 2016-04-27
- How to install LED Tube ----installation of led tube and wiring instr...2016-03-29
- You Should Know These! The Newest LED Tubes Standard2016-03-19
- The common certification of LED lamp2016-03-01
- 10 methods tell you how to choose dim LED lamps2016-02-27
- The knowledge of led panel light2016-01-12
Sign up for our newsletter to
get the latest updates and
LED Encapsulation: SMD and COB
LED Encapsulation can be divided two categories: SMD and COB
SMD LED stands for surface mount LED, specifically, through this process, chip is mounted onto a small “desk” , then becomes an LED.
SMD LED encapsulation process takes three steps:
1. Mount the chip onto a desk with adhesive;
2. Connect the chip to system with bond wire;
3. Cover the chip with phosphor to make the color.
Each encapsulation process is named after the dimension of LED, e.g., LED 2835, 3014, 3528.
COB stands for chips on board, which is a different solution than SMD encapsulation. Generally, an SMD LED is mounted onto a desk, and then the desk is mounted onto a PCB. Instead, COB skips the middle step and mounts the chips onto PCB directly, and thus, the cost is lower. Saving money is merely one of the advantages of COB.
SMD LED is a point light source solution. Putting too much point light source in a lamp would cause certain optical problems, such as lens flare and Double Vision. COB encapsulation is an integrated area light source solution, it can solve the two problems above. Besides, it has lower thermal resistance due to its structure. And higher CRI could be reached by simply adding red chip to the light source.